Monday, May 17, 2010

Guidance

A mentor or collaborator is always an ideal situation. Of course you never want a crowd of people all spouting their opinions. Remember that for the most part, there is no right answer, so if you open yourself up to a crowd of people, each one of them will tell you something completely different, and tell you it in a way that suggests they are correct. Of course any guidance you can receive, from one person or several, is extremely beneficial to improving your writing and assisting you with book publication decisions. You can write a book by yourself but you can't offer an outside viewpoint on what you've written (to say the least).

A friend began this process before I knew her and she has been a terrific resource for me. Having someone as a resource who just completed the process I was starting was valuable. I also had my family and select friends for help. Lucas, again, helped out by reading my entire pre-first draft of my book. This was before some stories were complete and when all horrific grammar and first sentences still existed. Being a screenwriter, he knew how to critique a creative endeavor and how to mold what I was trying to say. I also had stories read over by various others: fiance, father, mother, and brother, each adding their own valuable two cents.

While you may think you don't have a resource, it is best to not be alone in this process. Any friends can offer advice, just make sure you know how to ask for it. People who don't work creatively have great opinions, they just don't know how to express them. "I don't like this because I don't like it," is a general critique of what you can hear. Keep in mind that anything you do to enhance your book is for the better: book clubs, writing clubs, writing classes, writing events, speakers, you name it. We live in the age of the internet, there are many people just like you who are seeking guidance and collaboration. Utilize facebook and meetup and find a support network. There are countless ways you can improve your writing, book, and company before you need to pay a professional editor for a final review or go to the press.

No comments:

Post a Comment