Sunday, November 21, 2010

REVIEWS

Reviews are the most important thing you can get.  I sent out LOTS of books in hopes of reviews and have no diea how successful this process will be.  I did two give-a-ways: one through librarything.com and another through goodreads.com (both 35 books each) to members wanting free advanced books in exchange for consideration of writing a review.  Librarything had about 450 people request a copy and goodreads had about 1150 people request a copy. 

The goodreads books were shipped on Friday (2 days prior to this post) and the librarything books shipped about 2.5 weeks ago, and there are already 4 reviews!  The verdit? Three warm and one HOT.  So this is good.  I suppose my mind immediately goes to "well, when will the hater post?"  Naturally, not everyone will like this book.  On the other hand, it's hard not to know what you are getting into before deciding to read it.

The way I see books, movies, music, etc --- is that these items don't need to be great or fantastic...they just need to not suck.  There is a clear line when something is really bad versus ok, decent, good, or great.  Obviously a GREAT book is better than something that is "just ok," but if you can avoid the bad ones, you are in good shape.

So while I wait for the rest of my 70 home-readers, I also wait for many, many reviews from random places: blogs, magazines, publications.  No idea if they will even write a review or not.  Hopefully I get a couple, if not one.

All of these places get hundreds of requests a week so there is not time to read let alone consider them all.  We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment