Thursday, October 14, 2010

INTERIOR LAYOUT

As mentioned before, I chose 1106 Design to layout the interior of my book.  It took a lot of hunting but as I noted, this company offered many options all under one roof, which was appealing.  Plus, looking for a typesetter, interior design, book layout artist (all the same title) was a difficult task.  Internet searching and online postings do not lead to anything ideal, which is very surprising.  In fact, many of my postings online led me to email inquiries from people saying that are "awesome" with designing pamphlets.

While my blurbs about the cover design with 1106 have been rather unpleasant, this process was extremely pleasant and satisfactory.  In fact, this service made the cover design 2x as damaging since I started to see terrific results of the layout first, being amazing and delighted by the company before receiving any cover concepts.

The process was quick and easy.  I sent my WORD file and within a week they sent me two samples.  Each sample was the same random 30 pages of the book, each displaying different formatting options.  It was up to me to evaluate and gives notes: what option of each sample do I like best, and what, if anything else, do I want to see.

This was the first time I saw my book as a real book.  Albeit printed from a printer still on 8x5 x 11 paper, but it was formatted for 5.5 x 8.5 and the layout was in book form.  It was very exciting.  Reviewing the two samples brought up many issues I had not thought about - placement of book title per left page, what should be placed on right page (story title, etc) page number location, chapter intro pages, margins, positions, and everything else.  My comments were minimal and for the most part, laid within choosing between the options presented to me.  I only had three minor comments: I needed the interchapters to look more like interchapters, the font used to display the name of each story was tacky, and the voice of the alien entity in con-science was not CAPS enough to stand out.

The solutions to these three additional notes were simply carried out.  I emailed them SCALA-CAPS, the font for the title of each story.  I gave them a few ideas for the inter-chapters, which were carried out, and the con-science alien dialog was perfectly fixed.


A few more samples were sent to me over the next few weeks until there were no more question and no more comments on my end.  The entire process was nearly flawless and my updating of the illustrations (I found MORE crap on the illustrations that needed fixing) were easy swapped and fixed.

I am extremely pleased with how the interior layout/design was created and completed, which makes my experience with the cover design that much more confusing and depressing.  It would be quite interesting if the same person on their end did both jobs, but I'd guess probably not, but it's always a possibility.

If you are looking for someone to design the interior of your book, I would highly recommend 1106 so long as you stay clear of their cover design department.  My only suggestion for their interior layout is to be skeptical of their chapter font choices, as they were all bad fonts that did not look professional or creative, but as tacky curvy fonts that don't belong in a book.

1 comment: