Thursday, July 1, 2010

Artwork Phase #2 - Frustration

As mentioned earlier, I was working with my friend, Antonio Deleo, to produce illustrations for my book. With the 10+ illustrations he already gave me, I traced them in illustrator and colored them in photoshop. They looked great and was an easy inspiration for me to keep things moving. Then my dry spell hit -- I was in a financial bad spot, not making any money, and I put my book on hold for quite some time. With that, I stopped pestering Antonio for the continuation of the book.

I don't know how much time passed, but when I got a new job in July of 2009, I knew I had to re-start my book and get it done. Afterall, I got a significant pay bump and could now afford simple monthly expenses. I got back on Antonio and told him I was back working full-time on the book and that he needed to start pumping out more drawings (atn the time, I had 40 short stories, so while I may have had 10-15, it was still short of the full amount). And then... he told me what he was thinking.

"I'm not feeling that style anymore, you know? I kind of want to go down a more simpler route."

WTF. WTF!! Argh was I pissed. Not only did it take a long time to get the 10 or so drawings out of him (and now having to start all over) I spend countless hours tracing all the damn illustrations up to this point. And to start over? I was not happy. But, on the plus side, I new that I was far from being done with the book. It was fully written, but I needed to go through everything and re-touch it (not to mention have it professionally edited). Looking at it, I was very far from being done. On the other hand, not having illustrations done before the completed manuscript would present a problem. Also, I not had a real, full-time job, so my ability to communicate throughout the day was limited-but with that, I could pay him some money for this too.

With all the thoughts bumbling around my mind we came to an agreement: 40 illustrations to be completed by November 30th (Pushed back a few weeks from the original deadline). Of these 40, a few were already done from the first wave (The planets, example, one of which is my company's logo). So in the end, Antonio would need to do about 3 illustrations a week to stay on track. I figured he would not meet this deadline, but setting it for November was good, as any delay would certainly be OK albeit frustrating.

the first few drawings came in and I was pleasantly pleased. Surely these were more animated and fun - let alone cute. While the previous ones were just as unique, these were more playful and attractive for the aim I need for illustrations in my book. PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment