Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Complete Manuscript

It's a great feeling to have a complete manuscript. Again with the delusion, it's a great feeling and you almost feel unstoppable. Not to say that once it's complete it is done. If you are still writing, just keep writing. The worst thing you can do while writing is nit-pick on grammar and style; it's important you have all your ideas down before you analyze everything to death.

I am glad I hit a financial SNAG in developing this book, because it would probably be less acceptable if I rushed it. You can see my progress below, 2008 was a pretty BAD year for my advances on this book. But just because I wasn't working on it doesn't mean I didn't benefit from not working on it. IF I rushed through with the production,it may have even been made through Authorhouse and sold 20 copies and already be dead. Once you are done, you have completed your first draft. You should go through many of these. The more the better. Below is a listing of all stages my manuscript went through, not that this timeline is correct or the right way to go:

PRE-FIRST-DRAFT - COMPLETED DECEMBER 2006
It's sort of done, but not complete. Lucas looked at this copy and gave me plenty of notes for draft 1. Adam, my brother, also looked at a variety of stories in this (not all) and gave a good amount of notes. Taking these notes in mind, I finished this to create draft 1.

DRAFT 1 - Completed July 2007

DRAFT 2 - Completed August 2007

DRAFT 3 - Completed December 2008

DRAFT 4 - Completed November 2009

This is the last draft that was modified only by myself and family/friends.

DRAFT 5 - Completed February 2010

After all of my editor's notes and comments

DRAFT 6 - Completed April 2010
Maybe not complete and perfect, but DONE.

Have friends and family take a look and give you insight on how to make improvements. Since you know your friends and family, you should be able to give them specific tasks. When developing my book, I told my dad to concentrate on grammar and my brother to concentrate on the narrative. You make the call. You will also find that re-reading your manuscript after taking a week or three away from it will give you a new insight and a helpful critical eye. Consider all comments and fix all spelling errors. Spelling and grammar are key to be correct. You could live forever and never have your manuscript 100% perfect, but there comes a time when its ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment